No.1 Cluntergate

No.1 Cluntergate

The building at the corner of New Road and Cluntergate, once occupied by H. Pullan and Son, makers of bowling green woods was built by G & W Thickett for Mr. William Brooke, painter and decorator in about 1856. His son used the these buildings for his...
Methodist Chapel

Methodist Chapel

The Methodist Church standing on this site today opened in 2016. It replaced a previous Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, St Paul’s (pictured), which opened in 1884 & was demolished in 2012 due to the structure becoming unsafe. St Paul’s had also replaced an...
Horbury Library

Horbury Library

Built by the local firm Henry Fallas & Sons, who had recently completed the Town Hall next door, the foundation stone was laid by Cllr. A. Horsfield J.P. on the 4th January 1905. A grant of £2,000 had been obtained from the Carnegie Foundation*, which along with...
The King’s Arms

The King’s Arms

The Kings Arms pub (formerly The Granby Head Inn) on New Street dates back to the Georgian period of 1834 and is now designated a building of local interest. The pub is owned by Marstons and was awarded the Wakefield Express ‘Best Pub of the Year’ award in...
The Cemetery

The Cemetery

Burials from the parish church of St Peter & St Leonard have taken place here since the mid 19th Century. It was taken over by Horbury Urban District Council in 1897 & gradually extended to include the lower levels. There are several graves of interest,...
House of Mercy

House of Mercy

The idea of establishing a place to house those who needed”rescuing from sin and destruction, the increasing multitude of fallen women”, can be traced back to one person –  Henrietta Louisa Farrer, later the wife of Rev. Henry Sidney Lear, Bishop of...