Charles August Hagenbach was born in Aarburg, Switzerland in 1872. He married Jessie Macdonald in Northumberland in 1900. Their first son, Charles Edward was born Switzerland in 1901. They had three more sons, William Banks born 1903, Arnold born 1904 and Thomas...read more
William Baines was born on the 26th March 1899 and baptised at Horbury Primitive Methodist Chapel on the 30th April that year. He was the son of George William and Mary Alice (nee Townsend). William spent his early years living at 11 Shepstye Road. The 1901 census...read more
John Carr (1723 - 1807) was a prolific English architect. Best known for Buxton Crescent and Harewood House, much of his work was in the Palladian style. In his day he was considered to be the leading architect in the north of England. John Carr was a renowned English...read more
The Rev. Sabine Baring-Gould became curate to the Rev. John Sharp, vicar of Horbury, but was based at Horbury Bridge from 1864 to 1867, when he then relocated to Dalton, near Thirsk. He will always be associated with Horbury Bridge for it was here that he wrote his...read more
Built by the local firm Henry Fallas & Sons, who had recently completed the Town Hall next door, the foundation stone was laid by Cllr. A. Horsfield J.P. on the 4th January 1905. A grant of £2,000 had been obtained from the Carnegie Foundation*, which along with...read more
© 2019 Horbury Civic Society.
Registered Charity Number: 255238