Burials from the parish church of St Peter & St Leonard have taken place here since the mid 19th Century. It was taken over by Horbury Urban District Council in 1897 & gradually extended to include the lower levels.
There are several graves of interest, including local composer William Baines & Canon John Sharp, vicar of Horbury for nearly 65 years. Also well known names from Horbury’s past, such as; Andrassy, Hagenbach, Poppleton, Baines, Fallas, Briggs, Green & Harrop.
There is also the gravestone of local musician David Turton, which was brought from the old burial ground on Tithe Barn Street & resited just beyond the first gateway, opposite the steps.