The building at the corner of New Road and Cluntergate, once occupied by H. Pullan and Son, makers of bowling green woods was built by G & W Thickett for Mr. William Brooke, painter and decorator in about 1856. His son used the these buildings for his confectionary business from 1885 to 1907; the shop being known as “Brooke’s Refreshment Rooms”.
From 1872 to 1878, Samuel Hall, Postmaster, occupied part of the block and a Post Office was located there. The part of the building facing up High Street was occupied by the Wakefield and Barnsley Bank, the business of which was later transferred to the new bank on the corner of Highfield Road and Westfield Road, which at one time was Barclays Bank and is now Bar Biccari.
Other uses of the building have been:
- George Riley and Sons, Drapers in the 1920s and 1930s;
- Bookie’s Shop in the 1950s and 1960s;
- Jack in the Box Toy Shop in the 1970s and 1980s;
- George Alderson’s Stationers in the 1990s and
- Lace and Co., Bridal Boutique in 2019.