Redbox Gallery

Redbox Gallery

Redbox Gallery occupies a K6 telephone box which the Society purchased from BT for £1. Redbox has a strong curatorial policy which requires all commissioned artists to find a Horbury institution or organisation to engage with, and to concieve a new work inspired by...
Town Hall

Town Hall

The plot of land on which the Town Hall and Library stand was previously a house and garden occupied by Mr William Thickett, builder. The land and buildings were purchased by Horbury Urban District Council (HUDC) in 1899 from Messrs Baines for 3s 3d per yard (£2,100...
St. Leonard’s Hospital

St. Leonard’s Hospital

Next to the Lock up, the buildings named St. Leonard’s Hospital are not the first to occupy the site. They were built by Canon John Sharp in 1888 to replace the original almshouse building, which was demolished circa 1887. Canon John Sharp, the Vicar of Horbury...
Lock up

Lock up

Next to the Old Town School this small building, which forms part of the premises is Horbury’s old lock-up or “Kidcote” which dates back to 1710. It is a two storey building, the ground floor formerly being used as a prison with only a small stone...
The Old Town School

The Old Town School

The Old Town School opposite, marked by a stone plaque in the wall dated 1798, was the first school to be founded in Horbury and dates back to 1708 on land acquired by the Horbury Common Lands Trust for £4. A report dated 1827 shows “10 poor children”...
Tithe Barn Street

Tithe Barn Street

Tithe Barn Street in Horbury was so named after the old tithe barn, which was used to store produce of the tithe. A tithe means a tenth and one tenth of every Horbury parishioner’s income from produce of the land had to be donated to the church & the QR Code...