The Kings Arms pub (formerly The Granby Head Inn) on New Street dates back to the Georgian period of 1834 and is now designated a building of local interest. The pub is owned by Marstons and was awarded the Wakefield Express ‘Best Pub of the Year’ award in 2013, 2014 and 2016. Like many pubs, in the 19th century it would have held Coroner’s inquests into local deaths. To the rear of the pub were some weaving sheds, long since converted into dwellings, & tenter fields, where the woven cloth was stretched.
It has been suggested Twitch Hill, as in T’Witch Hill, gets it’s name from being the place where witches were executed back in the 17th Century. The last execution for witchcraft in England was in 1684, when Alice Molland was hanged in Exeter. However, as colourful as this sounds, the origins of Twitch Hill are more likely to refer to an old road between Horbury Bridge and Horbury village. The word “twitchel” means narrow passage or path between two walls or hedges.