Canon John Sharp, vicar of Horbury, reached out to the people of Horbury Junction after he received an offer of £100 from Louisa Goodenough, Mother Superior of the House of Mercy, towards building a mission room there, if he could raise the remainder of the cost. On 3rd January 1887 a mission was opened in Forge Lane. By 1890 it was extremely popular and land was secured on the other side of the railway to build St. Mary’s Church. A leading firm of ecclesiastical architects was engaged, Bodley & Garner. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Halifax on the 23rd April 1892. The church houses some fine examples of Kempe stained glass windows. The West window is in memory of Mother Louisa, who had the original idea for the mission room, the East window in memory of Mrs Parker of Carr Lodge. Others are in memory of Richard Race, the Barkers of Holmfield House and Canon Sharp’s own parents. The font was given by Mr & Mrs Greaves. The first vicar of St Mary’s was Rev Henry Robert Manders who was inducted into the parish on 4th July 1890.