The Gaskell School was opened by Daniel Gaskell, first MP for Wakefield from 1832 – 1837 and a member of Wakefield Unitarian Chapel. He devoted much of his life to improving the lot of the less fortunate, in particular the youth of the district. It was an non-denominational school, built on one of two large plots of land he had purchased here near Carr Lodge, at the junction of New Street and New Road. It was estimated that the total cost of land, school, outbuildings and furnishings was in the region of £3,000. The first schoolmaster appointed was William Mortimer in 1843.
The foundation stone from above the front door of the school can be seen set into the wall on the New Street side of 47 New Road and one of the plaques from over the windows is set above the double garage doors to the right of this. The school was demolished in 1923.