Readicut was founded by Ralph Hirst in 1928 from a shop in Wakefield. Their innovation was the brilliant idea of supplying pre-cut wool for rug making. Previously, wool was purchased in skeins and had to be cut to length by the crafter; a quite tedious and time-consuming process (and one often delegated to the children!) At the same time, Readicut introduced a mail order service. The company was registered in 1932 as Readicut Ltd and was incorporated in 1933.
The Readicut factory, known as Terry Mills (formerly William Sykes, Sporting Goods), which stood on this site on Westfield Road from 1935 until 2007 was once one of the town’s biggest employers.