Probably named in honour of Queen Victoria, Queen Street was formerly known as Hodge Lane & Widgery Lane. ‘Boon’s’ public house began life as ‘The Woolpacks Inn’, licensed in 1800. The shop, now called ‘Pinx’ was once a butcher’s shop & house. The garden area known as Stan Barstow Garden was once a small yard of houses called Harrap’s Yard. The building opposite has a date stone of 1717. The Post Office at the top of the hill, on the corner of Queen Street & Church Street, has been there since at least 1881. The building opposite, with red paintwork, was once the ‘Ring O’ Bells’ public house & the white washed building a little higher up (No.37-39) is timber framed, its oldest part probably dating from the 15th Century.
Read more about Queen Street & the people who lived & worked here when the 1911 census was taken.