Henry Fallas was born in Horbury and baptised on the 24th December 1843. His parents were Joseph and Hannah Fallas (nee Coope) who had married at St Peter’s Church on Christmas Day 1834.  At the turn of the 20th century Henry Fallas & Sons were Horbury’s premier master builders. In addition to Horbury Town Hall, the firm also built Horbury Library, the United Free Methodist Church (the location of this plaque), St Mary’s Parochial Hall, Carr Lodge gate house and walls, Horbury cinema, semi-detached houses on New Road, houses on Shepstye Road, Bank Street (behind this building), Medlock Road (backing onto Memorial Park), Sunroyd Hill, Dudfleet Lane and Manorfields, to name but a few.