Bridge End Cornmill was originally owned by Lord Bingley and dates from mid-17th century. It was leased to the Walshaw family who were established millers and was continuously occupied until the mid-19th century. It is one of two corn mills near in Sitlington, the other being Cockhill Mill which situated further upstream to the west (on the site of GO Outdoors). The mills could only be used to grind corn by people who lived outside the Soke of the Manor of Wakefield which included Horbury, that is people from the Netherton and Middlestown side of the River Calder. It was a very serious offence to be caught grinding corn out of the Soke resulting in a court appearance and a heavy fine. This rule was abolished in 1853 and anyone could take their corn for grinding to both Cockhill Mill and Bridge End Mill from then on.
The mill was an extensive three-storey building alongside Netherton Lane and up to the road junction, it had an undershot wheel and the mill race can still be seen. The wheel was powered by water supplied from a large dam on Dam Ing, which covered the area that is now the Capri car park and the bungalow at No 2 Netherton Lane and as far as the railway viaduct. The dams were fed by Coxley Beck and Smithy Brook and excess water ran under Netherton Lane and into the River Calder. The mill was later used as a saw mill until the early 1930s and it eventually collapsed in 1939.
Horbury Bridge Cornmill 1854 Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345052}